Sunday 25 February 2024

N2ADR wifi Buffer

 

Initial test of Jim's N2ADR wifi Buffer.

Installed on Raspberry Pi 1 with USB wifi dongle(s) following these instructions from Github...
https://github.com/jimahlstrom/HL2WifiBuffer

All current testing is on my LAN.

As the R-Pi 1 does not have wifi, I tested both of these dongles, results were disapointing, with stuttering in Quisk and unuseable with Thetis.  Both are designed for R-Pi and are 'plug n play' in Raspbian.  The R-Pi was only about 6 feet/2 metres away from the wifi router in my shack.

As always, click any image to go SUPERSIZED!


Next test was with a USB ethernet cabled adapter, and setup (eth1) as the wifi adapter in the hl2_wifi_buffer.txt file.
Results are very encouraging in Rx, but using Thetis in Tx resulted in errors, Quisk rarely threw an error in Tx.  In both instances I was using VOX.




Thetis is rather bandwidth hungry at ~22.6 Mbits/sec download rate (19200 sample rate), whereas Quisk is ~9.9 Mbits/sec (9600 sample rate).
This would explain why Thetis was unuseable on my wifi dongles.

When using Pure Signal, it's advised to use 19200 sample rate.

Also, when using VOX I have an issue where VOX keeps tripping at the end of an over as there is a large 'pop' of audio on reverting to Rx and VOX constantly activates/de-activates until I disable VOX.
This will surely need fixing for me as I quite like VOX as opposed to spacebar PTT.



No comments:

Post a Comment